Connect with us

Business News

Valentine: Sex Toys, Cakes Top Purchase Chart

Published

on

Share

Barely 48 hours  to the St. Valentine’s Day, an increase in the purchase of adult themed toys, lingerie (women’s underwear), cakes and wigs has been recorded, a survey by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos reveals.

The survey was conducted at The Palms Mall, Lekki, and Novera Mall, Sangotedo, on Friday.

NAN reports that the St.

Valentine’s Day is celebrated annually on Feb. 14.

The Wikipedia says , “the day  originated as a minor Western Christian feast day honoring one or two early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine.

“However, through later folk traditions, it has become a significant cultural, religious, and commercial celebration of romance and love in many regions of the world.’’

Mrs Hannah Jonathan, Founder and Coach, Soul Spice Sex Reflection, told NAN that  about a 45 per cent increase in the sale of adult themed toys had been recorded as compared with 2019.

Jonathan attributed the increase to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on outings and social gatherings; a development, which she said had limited the activities of couples to the confines of their homes.

She stated that Nigerians had become more open to exploring new options to spicing up procreation activities, particularly, during the Valentine’s Day celebration.

“This year is way better than last year, even though, during the lockdown, we almost ran out of stock on our sex toys.

“And, in spite of the over 100 per cent increase in prices, people are still willing to buy.

“I will say to you that so far, we have recorded a 45 per cent increase in the sales of all our items.

“Married persons are no longer shy to explore and be vocal about exploring what they want, especially, attaining climax with our orgasm cream. People are even giving out these toys as gifts to their partners and loved ones.

“I made about 50 adult themed cards as a trial run and they are almost out of stock. So, generally, sales are better this year and we are glad for it,” she said.

Ms Ruth Expama, Salesperson, Lulu Lingerie, said  she was hopeful that people would do more  purchases as the Valentine’s Day approach.

Ekpama said that the norm was for buyers to wait till the day got closer and look out for attractive Valentine deals, before making purchases.

“So far, we are just expectant even though we have not recorded that much sales.

“But today being a Friday and the Valentine’s Day being a Sunday, the weekend fever will definitely catch up with people.

“They will expectedly visit our shops in their numbers as has been the norm,” she said.

Some bakers across the metropolis also said there had been a  50 per cent increase in the orders for cakes, to celebrate the day.

Mrs Oluwatobiloba Agbebi, Director, CakesbyButtercup, attributed the increment to the fact that cakes and celebrations usually go hand in hand.

“People are just really grateful  to still be  alive to celebrate their loved ones, following the deaths and negativities recorded from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“Sales have been awesome. I can say this year’s Valentine celebration is better than last year’s.

“This is probably because people have gone through a lot with the COVID-19, and their loved ones want to make them feel good.’’

She said: “I have four orders going to the same family for Val; so, you can tell how happy people are to be alive at this period

“ I designed a “Be Mine” package that is affordable; 12 chocolate and red velvet cupcakes, fully decorated, costs N5,000. The same, but with an added bottle of wine, goes for N7,500.

“The six inches chocolate and red velvet cake with a bottle of fruit wine and a card costs N8,000. An additional chocolate bar to that packagemakes it N10, 000,’’ she said.

Another baker, Mrs Kanimo Dimas-Okuo, Managing Director, Neemo’s CREAMCakes, said that Valentine’s Day celebration impacts on cake orders had slightly shored up.

This, she attributed to new, creative and innovative ideas springing up daily on cake decorating designs, packages and Valentine’s Day giveaways.

“Valentine’s impact on cakes has, for me, slightly gone up even with all that is happening with the COVID-19 on the purchasing power of citizens,” she said.

Dimas-Okuo noted that a box of 12 cupcakes in chocolate, vanilla and red velvet with whipped cream, chocolate and fruit toppings plus a mini fruit wine, costs N4,500 while 12 cupcakes with a box of chocolates and a bottle non-alcoholic wine, costs N7500.

“Also, eight inches double-layered buttercream cake, with a box of chocolates and bottle of mini non-alcoholic wine, goes for N10,500.

“All these are within the affordable range of an average Nigerian to celebrate their loved ones, in spite of the current financial situation of many persons,” she said.

Miss Latifah Abu, a wig dealer  and  Chief Executive Officer of  Wholesome Hairs, said that the purchases of wigs had gone up by over 50 per cent, especially for the most sought after being “bone straight” hairs.

Abu noted that ladies’ preference for more meaningful, impactful and long-lasting gifts was responsible for the development.

She stated that hair dealers had taken advantage of the season to provide good deals for their customers, which led to improved patronage.

“Ladies have stepped up to receiving nice hairs as gifts at any season of celebration and  Valentine’s Day is not left out.

“I have been sorting hair delivery back to back with majority of my orders coming from the men folk who t know the value of adding beauty to a woman’s looks through good hair.

“So, sales have really gone up and it will remain so for almost a week after the Valentine’s Day celebration,” she said.

Other items observed to be on high demand to celebrate the ‘’love’’ day include  include cards, roses, towels, mugs, picture frames, matching clothing items and perfumes. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business News

Budget Office Defends Tax Reform Acts, Seeks Due Process

Published

on

Share

By Tony Obiechina, Abuja 

The Budget Office of the Federation has reaffirmed the integrity of Nigeria’s newly enacted Tax Reform Acts, cautioning against what it described as governance by speculation and unverified claims following allegations of post-passage alterations.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Budget Office said it had taken note of concerns raised by the Minority Caucus of the House of Representatives, stressing that the sanctity of the law is central to constitutional democracy and not a mere procedural formality.

According to the Office, any suggestion that a law could be altered after debate, passage, authentication, and presidential assent without due process would strike at the core of the Republic and undermine citizens’ right to be governed by transparent and stable laws.

However, it warned that democratic integrity is also endangered by the careless amplification of unverified claims. “A nation cannot be governed by insinuation or sustained on circulating documents of uncertain origin,” the statement noted, adding that public confidence, once shaken by speculation, is often difficult to restore.

The Budget Office emphasized that both government and citizens share a common interest in truth, clarity, and due process, noting that public finance depends heavily on trust in the legality and clarity of fiscal laws. It welcomed the decision of the National Assembly to investigate the allegations, describing institutional inquiry, not conjecture as the appropriate response to claims of illegality.

On public access to the law, the Office agreed that Nigerians and the business community are entitled to clear and authoritative texts of all laws they are required to obey. It clarified, however, that the authenticity of legislation is determined by certified legislative records and official publication processes, not by informal or viral reproductions.

The statement also underscored the importance of separation of powers, warning that claims suggesting Nigeria is being governed by “fake laws,” if not backed by established facts, risk eroding confidence in democratic institutions.

 At the same time, it stressed that legislative scrutiny should not be dismissed by the executive, noting that oversight is a constitutional duty, not an act of hostility.

From a fiscal perspective, the Budget Office said legal certainty is essential for revenue projections, macroeconomic stability, budget credibility, and investor confidence. While it is not the custodian of legislative records, it maintained that uncertainty around operative tax provisions directly affects economic planning.

To restore confidence, the Office proposed a set of measures, including the publication of verified reference texts in a single public repository, orderly access to Certified True Copies for stakeholders, clear public explanations where discrepancies are alleged, and strict alignment of all implementing regulations with authenticated legal texts.

Addressing calls for suspension of the tax reforms, the Budget Office cautioned against allowing prudence to slide into paralysis. It argued that properly implemented tax reform is necessary to reduce dependence on borrowing and inflationary financing, while easing indirect burdens on vulnerable citizens.

“Where clarification is required, it must be provided; where correction is required, it must be effected; where investigation is required, it must proceed,” the statement said, adding that governance and reform should not be stalled by unresolved conjecture.

The Office concluded by describing taxation as a democratic covenant that binds citizens and the state, insisting that compliance depends on transparency and trust. It called on political actors to protect institutions as much as positions, urging citizens and businesses to rely on verified sources and resist the spread of unauthenticated information.

The statement was signed by Tanimu Yakubu, Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, who reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to fiscal transparency, institutional integrity, and reforms that advance national prosperity while safeguarding citizens’ rights.

Continue Reading

Business News

Tinubu Congratulates Dangote on World Bank Appointment

Published

on

Share

By Jennifer Enuma, Abuja

President Bola Tinubu has congratulated Alhaji Aliko Dangote, the President of Dangote Group, on his appointment to the World Bank’s Private Sector Investment Lab, a body tasked with promoting investment and job creation in emerging economies.

In a statement by Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Bayo Onanauga, the President described the appointment as apt, given Dangote’s rich private sector experience, strategic investments, and many employment opportunities created through his Dangote Group.

The Dangote Group became one of Africa’s leading conglomerates through innovation and continuous investment.

Dangote Group’s business interests span cement, fertiliser, salt, sugar, oil, and gas. However, the $20 billion Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals remains Africa’s most daring project and most significant single private investment.

“President Tinubu urges Dangote to bring to bear on the World Bank appointment his transformative ideas and initiatives to impact the emerging markets across the world fully” the statement said.

The World Bank announced Dangote’s appointment on Wednesday, as part of a broader expansion of its Private Sector Investment Lab. The lab now enters a new phase aimed at scaling up solutions to attract private capital and create jobs in the developing world.

The CEO of Bayer AG, Bill Anderson, the Chair of Bharti Enterprises, Sunil Bharti Mittal, and the President and CEO of Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Mark Hoplamazian, are on the Private Sector Investment Lab with Dangote.

The World Bank said the expanded membership brings together business leaders with proven track records in generating employment in developing economies, supporting the Bank’s focus on job creation as a central pillar of global development.

Continue Reading

Business Analysis

Nigeria Customs Generates over N1.75trn Revenue in 2025

Published

on

Share

By Joel Oladele, Abuja

The Nigeria Customs Service (NSC) has generated an impressive N1,751,502,252,298.05 in revenue during the first quarter of 2025.

The Comptroller-General (CG) of the Service, Bashir Adeniyi, disclosed this yesterday, during a press briefing in Abuja.

According to Adeniyi, the achievement not only surpasses the quarterly target but also marks a substantial increase compared to the same period last year, reflecting the effectiveness of recent reforms and the dedication of customs officers across the nation.

“This first quarter of 2025 has seen our officers working tirelessly at borders and ports across the nation.

I’m proud to report we’ve made real progress on multiple fronts—from increasing revenue collections to intercepting dangerous shipments,” Adeniyi stated.

He attributed this success to the reforms initiated under President Bola Tinubu’s administration and the guidance of the Honourable Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Olawale Edun.

The CG noted that the revenue collection for Q1 2025 exceeded the quarterly benchmark of N1,645,000,000,000.00 by N106.5 billion, achieving 106.47% of the target. This performance represents a remarkable 29.96% increase compared to the N1,347,705,251,658.31 collected in Q1 2024.

Adeniyi highlighted the month-by-month growth, noting that January’s collection of N647,880,245,243.67 surpassed its target by 18.12%, while February and March also showed positive trends.

 “I’m pleased to report the Service’s revenue collection for Q1 2025 totaled N1,751,502,252,298.05.

“Against our annual target of N6,580,000,000,000.00, the first quarter’s proportional benchmark stood at N1,645,000,000,000.00. I’m proud to announce we’ve exceeded this target by N106.5 billion, achieving 106.47% of our quarterly projection. This outstanding performance represents a substantial 29.96% increase  compared  to  the  same  period  in  2024,  where  we  collected N1,347,705,251,658.31.

“Our month-by-month analysis reveals even more encouraging details of this growth trajectory,” Adeniyi said.

In addition to revenue collection, Adeniyi said the NCS maintained robust anti-smuggling operations, recording 298 seizures with a total Duty Paid Value (DPV) of ₦7,698,557,347.67.

He stated that rice was the most seized commodity, with 135,474 bags intercepted, followed by petroleum products and narcotics.

“From rice to wildlife, these seizures show our targeted approach,” Adeniyi remarked, noting the NCS’s commitment to combating smuggling and protecting national revenue.

Adeniyi also highlighted key initiatives, including the expansion of the B’Odogwu customs clearance platform and the launch of the Authorized Economic Operators Programme, which aims to streamline processes for compliant businesses. The NCS’s Corporate Social Responsibility Programme, “Customs Cares,” was also launched, focusing on education, health, and environmental sustainability.

Despite these achievements, the CG noted that the NCS faced challenges, including exchange rate volatility and non-compliance issues. Adeniyi acknowledged the need for ongoing adaptation and collaboration with stakeholders to address these challenges effectively.

Looking ahead, the NCS aims to continue its modernization efforts and enhance service delivery, ensuring that it remains a critical institution in Nigeria’s economic and security landscape.

“Results speak louder than plans; faster clearances through B’Odogwu, trusted traders in the AEO program, and measurable food price relief from our exemptions. We’ll keep scaling what works,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

NEWS5 hours ago

Cheap Surgery, Costly Injustice

ShareBy Fransiscus Nanga Roka The flourishing market in overseas cosmetic surgery offers you a dream — the promise of a...

NEWS5 hours ago

NUJ Felicitates Babangida at 85

ShareBy Dan Amasingha, Minna The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Niger State Council, has congratulated former Military President, General Ibrahim...

SPORTS5 hours ago

Why I Married My Husband In Our Living Room – Ronaldo’s Wife

ShareGeorgina Rodríguez has disclosed that she chose their everyday family space to get married to Cristiano Ronaldo so that their...

Education5 hours ago

ASUU Approves Strike in 20 Varsities over Breached 2025 Agreement

ShareAcademic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has authorised 20 federal and state universities across Nigeria to commence varying degrees of...

NEWS5 hours ago

Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops to 15.43 Per Cent in July – NBA

ShareBy Tony Obiechina, Abuja Nigeria’s headline inflation rate fell to 15.43 per cent in July 2026, down from 15.91 per...

NEWS5 hours ago

Igbinedion Varsity, EduTech Global Partner On Digital Education, Access

ShareBy Julius Tambaya, Abuja Igbinedion University, Okada, one of Nigeria’s leading private universities, has entered into a strategic partnership with...

NEWS5 hours ago

Xenophobia: FG Evacuates 83 More Nigerians from South Africa

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The Federal Government has announced the arrival of another batch of 83 Nigerians evacuated from South...

NEWS5 hours ago

Kaduna Varsity Lecturers’ Exodus Worsens as ASUU Issues Strike Ultimatum

ShareFrom Agbo Emmanuel, Kaduna More than 200 lecturers, including professors and other experienced academic staff, have left Kaduna State University...

NEWS19 hours ago

NES 32 to Drive National Dialogue on Jobs, Productivity, Shared Prosperity

ShareBy Ayanyinka Ayanlowo Nigerian Economic Summit to Chart the Next Phase of Nigeria’s Economic TransformationThe Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG)...

NEWS19 hours ago

Komaiya Wife Celebrates 29 Years of Marriage, Calls Husband ‘Divine Covering’

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja Pastor Mrs Esther Komaiya has poured out heartfelt tributes to her husband, Pastor Korede Komaiya, as...